Saturday, May 12, 2007

and so it begins...

Tomorrow is my 16th birthday, and the pressures of responsibility and life have been starting to press. Today, I began working, my first job. It is at a small cafe, with a close-nit group of workers. I did feel the stares of the other employees resting on me as if I was a subject of a comedians overplayed act. I worked 8-12. The flow of customers was steady and strenuous. I kept myself what I thought was well composed, although several of the people observing me asked me if I was lost. I said I wasn't. I lied. The owner/manager of the cafe was the one training me. He was a rather funny old man, he did have shockingly clear blue eyes. Like a beach in a travel brochure. He was obviously feather-brained, as he forgot the code to the cash-register he had told me 5 minutes previously. I was nodding respectfully and pretending that what he was saying was registering in my brain, which was fried like the egg and bacon sandwiches. He looked at my face and asked if I was okay. I realized that I must have been portraying what I was thinking, so I quickly smiled. Then I lost it. He was teaching me how to choose the proper pickle. He said not to just grab the pickle floating on the top. I was directed to choose a firm, long pickle that wasn't wilted or squishy. He said that people like to bite into crunchy pickles and that no one wants a wilted pickle. It was at this time I realized how immature I really was because I began to snort like I had a wilted pickle stuck up my nose. As I was trying to regain my composure, all the people in the cafe, including the customers, were staring at me with dumbed expressions. Like when someone hears just the punchline of a joke. My boss moved his huge blue eyes, brimming with concern (excuse my corniness here...) and asked me if I was okay, really ok. His genuine concern made my laughter clarify and people understood that I was, in fact, laughing. The tension in the room eased and i was calming down. After that, I broke one expresso pact-o thing and dropped a box of one dozen bagels on the floor. So I can clearly see that I will enjoy my future employment in the food industry.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Very novel-y[can you tell that adding '-y' to everything is my new favorite thing?]. I felt like I was reading a teen novel, or something. In a good way. Now you just have to write about how you meet the[incredibly handsome and possibly vampiric] boy of your dreams when he comes into the cafe, tell about your lovable and perfect-in-every-way[haha] best friend, and how despite all the wacky and tragic things life throws at you, you still somehow manage to live happily ever after. I can't wait to read the story of your life. Really, I love it.

Katie said...

Apparently I missed the memo that said answering your phone is now out of fashion. Seriously, I've been calling you all day and all it does is ring and ring and ring and-you get the point. Do you even have an answering machine anymore? Anywho, this is an official Ode to Amie:
Fa lalala lalala la
Happy Birthday, Sweet 16
The End
Your my bestiest best best friend eeeevveeeerrrr. I hope you had a smashing good time on your 16th birthday. I can't wait to give you your present. Adieu, Amie!

jess said...

You're funny, pickle nose!

jess said...

Oh, Amie, why why why don't you write more posts!??!?!? It's a crime against humanity. Libby snorted so hard when she read about the pickle that pickle juice would have come out of her nose if she had been drinking pickle juice (disclaimer: As far as I know, Libby does not drink pickle juice.

Please, please, entertain us some more. I'll send you a nickel! (rhymes with pickle)

jess said...

Um, hellooooooo, it's almost like you're not reading my comments or something (shocking!) I've tagged you in a meme over at my blog...